Thursday, January 5, 2012

Grandma's Star Doily...

One of the other things I want to do with this blog is to share what I have or can photograph of my Grandmother's work, as a way to document it to preserve and share it...she created so many beautiful things throughout her life.  I am not going to attempt to wash these and pin them out and make them perfect.  I like them as they are...loved and treasured and used in my home or in the homes of others.  Additionally, sometimes I will be sharing photos of pieces of her work that are in someone elses possession and so am limited to a few photos at best of those items.

This is a beautiful doily that was given to me after Grandma Stella passed away...







This doily measures 15 1/2 inches from tip to tip, so it is fairly substantial.  I love that it is made up of individual motifs that replicate the overall shape of the doily.  I suppose it is more of a snowflake, since it has 6 points...but I have always thought of it as Grandma's Star doily.  I do not know the source of the pattern, but it is lovely. If anyone does recognize it, it would be fun to know.  

I don't imagine that this doily would be a popular tat anymore, with our penchant for hiding ends...there were many of them in this doily  It was perfectly acceptable to just tie and trim the ends when Grandma made these beautiful things.  Sometimes I think that this devotion to hiding ends for appearances sake is overrated when it makes tatting an item this lovely too frustrating to contemplate! 

At any rate, hope you have enjoyed my sharing this beautiful doily!

6 comments:

  1. Grandma Stella did a beautiful job! I look forward to seeing more of her work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing her other pieces.

    I think you have a valid point about the ends. In fact, our work would have more of a vintage look if we leave those little bits of thread showing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, this is a gorgeous doily, and how wonderful that you have such a treasure created by your grandmother's hands!
    It's a wonderful design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just seeing this now..love the doily! it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...they are read and treasured!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...